Tuesday, February 13, 2024

RIP David Kahn

U.S. journalist and author David Kahn died on January 24th. He was 93.

Kahn's 1967 book The Codebreakers, which covered the history of code making and breaking from its ancient origins to the mid-20th century, thrust the previously little known field of cryptology into the public eye to an unprecedented degree and thus helped open the era of public discussion of signals intelligence.

Preferring its comfortable obscurity, the U.S. National Security Agency feared the impending publication of the book so much that it looked for ways to prevent its publication. Fortunately, it was unsuccessful. In the years since then the agency has gradually come to recognize the value of greater public awareness of its work. In 2020 it inducted Kahn into its Cryptologic Hall of Honor

In addition to writing The Codebreakers, Kahn was one of the founding editors of the journal Cryptologia. In 1991 I sent him a draft of an article that I had written about CSE's 1980s cryptanalytic renaissance, and when he very graciously replied it was with a copy-edited version accepted for publication in the journal. "The Fall and Rise of Cryptanalysis in Canada" appeared in the January 1992 issue. You can read a slightly updated version I posted on this blog here.

The New York Times published an excellent obituary of David Kahn on February 9th.

R.I.P.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had not heard this sad news before I read it here. The Codebreakers was a constant companion to me in my youth, so I was ecstatic when I got the chance to have a lengthy, closed-door lunch with David in Ottawa some time in 2011 or 2012. He was over 80, but very sharp and energetic. He shared his insights on a wide variety of historical topics, including Herbert Yardley and the XU, the formation of the 5e, and the disparity between popular awareness of cryptologic successes in the European and Pacific theatres during World War Two. We also discussed current trends, including the increasing role of private-sector cryptographers, the declining utility of Cocom/Wassenaar-type restrictions in the digital age, and the political challenges facing contemporary DIRNSAs.

I found him to be enthusiastic, generous, and very funny. His expertise was astonishing. After he signed my much-loved copy of The Codebreakers, he gave me his card and invited me to reach out when I was next in NYC. It was a privilege to spend time with him. I hope his family understands what a giant he was to crypto enthusiasts and pros alike.

February 18, 2024 7:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home